This is pretty simple. Here’s how it goes:
- You “lovingly” try and look out for someone’s needs. Like, maybe you’ll be hungry…or…maybe you’ll be thirsty…or….maybe you’ll be too tired for a movie.
- I admit, it’s a bit of annoying mothering
- You have not had a solitary argument with them recently. As far as your powers can tell you, you’re on good terms.
- They snap your head off with an “I can take of myself, thank you.”
Why I hate this:
- It’s somehow both aggressive and passive aggressive at the same time, which makes it a mind fuck for me.
- It comes out of nowhere
- It hurts my feelings (and I have to dip into self-therapy for a moment and tell myself “This has nothing to do with you”…sigh, so annoying)
- You meant so well! You were so sweet, nice, kind, ______ (whatever totally positive attribute you want to add here)
- It’s hard, for me, to respond to it with what I really want to say which is “What’s crawled up your ass?” and instead I have this half-frozen smile which reads “I’m so sorry.”
- I still feel like I did something wrong even when I know I didn’t.
- It’s mean.